Moldin' Oldies
Home Up

 

The Apollo Saturn V Castings - My First Castings

In order to fly my 1/100 Scale Apollo Saturn V with "E" and "F" reload motors, I decided to strengthen the Command Module/Escape Tower area at the top of the rocket as well as the fin/fairing area at the bottom of the rocket.

The Escape Tower on top of the Command Module is notorious for being damaged during flight or landing (or while just sitting there).  I decided to make my escape tower area solid plastic instead of the fragile scaffolding of the original.  I cast everything from the Command Module to the top of the rocket as one piece.

The original fin/fairing assembly is vacuum-formed plastic and has very little strength.  I decided to cast the assembly as one piece and make the fairing wall thicker to take the higher launch loads as well as withstand the impact of landings.  

 

Here are the items I cast for the Apollo Saturn V model rocket.  

apollocapsules3.jpg (60393 bytes)

The Apollo Saturn V Command Module and Escape Tower Assembly.

My casting is on the left. 

The original (with the clay still in the scaffolding) is on the right.

 

finfair1.jpg (94864 bytes)

The Saturn V Fin and Fairing Assembly.

My casting is on the left.  The vacu-formed original parts are on the right.